Case Manager Wendy Lopez and Promotora Meesha Heydon
Education and Treatment Go Hand in Hand
As part of its long-term strategy to reduce the need for intervention surgery services, PDI case managers, dentists, nurses and volunteers combine prevention education and outreach efforts to best reach and educate families.
At the Surgery Center:
- PDI has a dedicated Oral Health Educator on staff thanks to a grant from the County of Sonoma's Department of Health Services.
- Our Health Educator, assisted by the rest of the clinical staff, uses the time during surgery as a "teachable moment" to reinforce the importance of brushing and flossing and eating healthfully.
- We provide information to local dental resources so that parents can access a dental home for regular checkups.
- After surgery, each child takes home a Healthy Teeth Kit to reinforce the importance of brushing and flossing.
In the Community:
- Staff and volunteers attend health and community fairs and visit schools and shelters to perform screenings and to educate families about the importance of good dental hygiene practices, and how to prevent tooth decay from occurring.
- Staff works with other local service providers so that they may be informed of PDI services to increase access to care.
- Outreach efforts focus on informing families about the surgery center and PDI services.